Wednesday, January 27, 2010

When life hands you lemons....




One of my favorite sayings (and I heard this from a lady at church, mind you!) is: "when life hands you lemons, throw them at someone else".  So, since I've been handed a few lemons lately, I'm ready to start tossing them on their way elsewhere!
Oy Vey...let's take stock, shall we?  First, Ian has been sick - really sick.  The "pneumonia - asthma - hospital" kind of sick.  Poor kid - he looks so tired and pale and thin.  For the past two weeks, I haven't been able to tempt his appetite with any of his favorite foods.  Tonight, he finally started really eating again - so I'm taking that as a  good sign.  Any prayers sent on his behalf would be MUCH appreciated!!
Secondly, I found out that my Mom is starting to have issues with her one remaining kidney.  (She lost one to cancer a few years back).  The cancer hasn't returned (and I'm oh so grateful for that!!!), but her remaining kidney is beginning to show signs of failing.  My mom is one tough cookie, but this seems to be taking the wind out of her...I'm worried and hoping that the Dr.'s can give her an effective treatment plan.
Third - my car decided to die a painful, EXPENSIVE death.  I was in one of the busiest (naturally - it's been that kind of week, I'm telling you)  intersections in our city, and my car just died!  Okay, so there's no "good" place for a car to break down - but being in a busy intersection is defintely one of the "worst" places.
Praise the Lord, my car re-started long enough to get me across the streets to a safe spot.  After being towed, we learned that it would be VERY expensive to get the car up and running again.  (Of course, it's "just" out of warranty!)  The repairs were going to be nearly as much as the car was worth, so my sweet hubby  made the call to buy me a new car.  Can I tell you that I HATE shopping for a new car?  (I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE driving a new car - I just hate shopping for them!)  Don't you hate pulling into dealerships and the salesmen are standing around like vultures, waiting to swoop in and attack???  Anyway, LONG story short, I am now the proud mama of a new car (and I'm loving my choice  - this baby purrs!!!)...but this also means, I'm  a mama on a MUCH-tighter budget.  I will definitely be stitching from my fabric/charts/floss stash for the forseeable future...no new purchases for me, but that's okay, I have lots on hand to choose from!  :)
So, to sum up - my lemonade could have tasted sweeter this month, but I still feel blessed.  Maybe I'll make some lemon meringue pie before I toss those lemons on their way....   :)

*Sharon

1 comment:

Susan said...

Lemon pie is always a favorite of mine!
Cars can become a real problem and lucky for me mine is strong in its 5th year with just usual things -new battery, tires usual things! What did you pick out for car?
If you need a supply for stitching I'm sure some of us out here would be happy to share as we have all been in the tight pocket at one time or another.