Monday, August 15, 2011

Trying to adjust....


Well, I made it to my mom's.  I was really hoping that she would allow me to be a blessing to her and give her the help that she needs...unfortunately, it's just not working out that way.

When I got here, she was in the hospital because she had let her blood sugar levels go over 700.  (normal is between 80-120, from what I understand).  She's diabetic.  When she was in the hospital, she was combative and confused and to quote a nurse, one of her more "difficult" patients in recent memory.  When mom came home, upon discharge, the Dr.'s noted that she had issues with confusion.  What we thought was alzheimers is really dimentia.  Unfortunately, caring for my mom is becoming more and more difficult by the day.  Her Physical Therapist came by the house today and told her that he could only help her as much as she would let him.  She was very stubborn with him and on the way out, he told me that I should put some sort of warning notice sign on our lawn.  LOL.  We've hit the point where, in my mom's eyes, I'm doing nothing right and I'm just making her life difficult.  She's having trouble with remembering when (or if) she's taken her medicine and gets obstinate with me when I try to help her.
Being honest, the stress is really weighing on me...I'm just praying, praying, praying at this point.  At her appointment this morning, she actually apologized to the Dr. because I'm so "ugly".  Argh!  Her Dr.'s are working on a plan for her care for both the short-term and the possible long-term and I'm just waiting for the cavalry to show up.  (BTW, there is no cavalry...I just keep hoping!)  LOL

I haven't had any time at all to stitch, but I'm REALLY hoping that soon (VERY SOON!!!!), I'll be able to relieve some stress and put thread to fabric.

In the meantime, I'm trying to hang in there and realize that this is just a horrible disease with horrible consequences.

I'd really appreciate any love, thoughts or prayers you could send our way!

I'm "cherishing" being here to help my mom, whether it seems like I'm really "helping" or not....

*Sharon







9 comments:

Faye said...

Hey Sharon~~ I just emailed you...Hang in there girl~~ Faye

Claudette497 said...

You poor baby! Dementia is a terrible disease. I wish I could send a cavalry to help you. PBS

Anonymous said...

I periodically check your blog, sorry I lurk on so many!! I had to write to tell you to hang in there! This is a terrible disease. Just remember it is the disease and not your Mother that is doing all this stuff. I am sending hugs and prayers your way. We are caring for my MIL but not to that extent. Just remember to take time for yourself and keep your sense of humor. You will make it through it. Also, vent, vent, cry, scream you will feel so much better.

Meari said...

Oh, Sharon. ((hugs)) I'm so sorry you're going through this. My grandfather suffered with dimentia, alzh, and parkinsons before he passed in 1997. It's not easy to be the caregiver. That's for sure. It's good to see a bit of your sense of humor coming through in your post :)

Nancy said...

Praying for you and your mom...such a hard time for both of you. Remember to make some time for yourself, it's so important for your well-being. Make use of any help that comes your way. Hugs...

mdgtjulie said...

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. It's hard when a parent is no longer able to care for him or her self. I'm wishing all the best of luck. Will say a prayer that you figure something out to help her and that she's less combative about life. And I'll say a prayer for you, for strength and wisdom.

Siobhan said...

Oh Sharon, I'm so sorry that you have to go through this. Lots of hugs going out to you & prayers being said. As anonymous said, remember that it's the disease and not your mother speaking. God bless.

Susan said...

My mother also suffers from dementia/alzheimer. this is a phase of the disease. Been through this one and am on to another part. Now Mother has no short term memory - she asks same questions in same sequence every half hour. Knows I am her daughter but not my name - names have been missing for months, almost a year. This combat mode she is in will pass. Hang in there - we know what you are going through.

Happy Stitching!

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog and wanted to send you encouragment. My mom also has memory issues and thinks there is nothing wrong with her. We have gone round and round just trying to get her to take her pills on time. She has hypertension, low NA. Trying to get her to go to MD appt's, watch fluids. She refuses to get an MRI. I have been there in the doc's office when she tells me I need to lose weight and worry about my issues. I know that it's the disease and not my mom but it's still tough. I leave her house some days so grateful I have her and was able to help her and other days I think my head is going to spin and fly off. It's a learning curve and everyday different. I have backed off, somethings are not negotiable (meds, MD appts) other things I don't push. I want her to not be anxious, BP stable and NA ok, as long as she is safe at home we let her go and step into her world. Know you are not alone in this. Push for your mom to get into LTC if that is where she will be safe. Bless you and your mom.