Friday, December 21, 2012

I'm a work in progres....

As you may have noticed, I have taken a LONG break from blogging.  The events of this year have just taken their toll and I've needed time to refresh and renew.  As my sweet, not-so-little son has pointed out, this entire year has been post-traumatic-stress-disorder waiting to happen.  Dealing with the not-so-little son's serious medical issues this year were heart-wrenching and over-whelming.  Also, my mom's issues have become an every day issue to deal with.  I get a call from her nursing home almost daily - sometimes upwards of three calls a day due to her "behavioral problems"...  Some days I just feel like the gerbil on the wheel running and running and running and I can't get off.  Mom has advanced dementia...part of the problem is....that she doesn't think she has any dementia.  She's become combative and nasty and hard to handle.  I bless the name's of the folks who care for her. It's so hard to explain...she's my mom....but just the shell "body" of my mom remains.  :(

We also lost my wonderful Uncle Hugh this year.  Oh, how I miss that sweet man.  Somehow, his passing felt like I was losing my last connection to my Dad that I loved so much.  :(    In addition to his loss, I lost two friends in the same week this fall.  Both were friends from school.... and seemingly fairly "young".   One was lost to a heart attack, another to a stroke... such a painful reminder that life is all to quick and fleeting.

Let's see, to add to the list....my poor hubby broke his arm while playing tennis.  (Hey, if ya gotta break your arm, go down swinging!!!)  We were playing against each other and I made a BRILLIANT backhand.  (I'm writing this story,  I can tell it exactly the way that "I" remember it.  LOL)  Hubby went to chase the shot and ran so fast that his feet ran out from under him.  He broke the fall with his arm and wound up breaking the arm with his fall.  (Love that last sentence?????)  

Hubby has also had an absessed tooth and Ian had a cut on his arm get infected in the past month.  Sheesh! 

In the midst of all this, I lost my stitching mojo somewhere along the way.  I also lost my yahoo groups mojo.  I love the groups I belong to...I just haven't felt much like keeping up.  I did manage to get the wedding piece I was working on finished.  (though not time to iron it yet.)








All that to say....this Christmas, we're "Keeping it Real" at our house.  We're all tired and worn down.  So, we've decorated "Christmas" light" this year.  Our tree is up, and of course, the singing Frosty, the singing Mice and the Dancing Santa are out.  (We have a thing for loud, obnoxious sounds at Christmas!)  :)
We have a wreath on our door and candles burning around the house.  But that's it for this year.  This year, we're going to be the people who go to other people's parties.  Hopefully next year, we'll be back to being the people who GIVE the parties!
Usually, we decorate by the "if it isn't moving, cover it with little twinkling lights" method.  But this year, we're concentrating more about WHY we celebrate Christmas and less about HOW we choose to celebrate.

Be blessed, dear friends...

I "cherish" simplicity.

Hugs,
Sharon



7 comments:

Claudette497 said...

I hope your Christmas leaves you refreshed and strengthened - still praying for Ian.

natalyK said...

May the New Year bring you peace and joy and a sense of renewal!
Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Carolyn said...

Oh my goodness, Sharon! Bless your heart. You've really had a LOT going on this year. I pray that the new year will bring you blessings beyond measure. :)

Last year I found it hard to get into the Christmas decorating mood (we are usually like the Griswolds around here) and I MADE myself put up one tree and the wreath on the front door. I didn't bake the usual things that I've made every, single year, and did none of the other "normal for us" things. You know what? Christmas came and went, and we STILL were able to celebrate the reason for the season. LOVE the simplicity of it all. Have a MOST wonderful Christmas! HUGS...

mdgtjulie said...

I truly hope you're feeling renewed soon, Sharon. It's hard to deal with all of that. Hopefully, things will be substantially easier in the new year. Good luck to you, and Happy Christmas.

Melanie said...

*hugs*
Here's to a better, brighter and easier 2013.

KDono62139 said...

Thanks so much for your updates, I love your blog! Your hands are full with all that's going on & I hope you all are having a wonderful happy Christmas, 2013 will be a better year! Karen in Fla

Minnie said...

Glad to hear from you and I hope the New Year will bring you peace and brighter days.