Sunday, March 29, 2015

Let's talk about back-stitching....




Will someone PLEASE remind me that the next time I choose to do a "large-ish" design, it might be a good idea to do some of the back-stitching as I go along instead of waiting until the end?  (I know, that was a complete run-on sentence).

As much as I love the effect that back-stitch has on a project and how it makes a design "pop", I am so tired of lines over and over again.  I thought that the pale green gray, dark green gray, brown gray color scheme was bad enough when I was making little x's.  Trust me, it's worse when you're using those colors to draw plain lines.

Having said that, I'm finding that the back-stitching is going much faster than I expected.  I now have the top part of the project finished and I'm ready to start tackling the bottom half.

 Y'all will be the first to know when it's time for a woot-woot and a happy dance! 

Hugs and Grace,
*Sharon

7 comments:

Barb said...

It's just beautiful. I always do the back stitching last too. You are making e wonder if that is such a good idea on a very big piece.

Brigitte said...

I always try to do my back stitches as I go but sometimes I leave it until the end. BUt then - it helps to see how wonderful suhc a design is looking with all the back stitches. Good luck with them on this beautiful design.

Clare - Aimetu said...

It's not my favourite part of the wonders of needlework either, I too try to remember to do it as I go along but usually forget. It does make a piece though, however tedious to do :-)

Jeanne said...

That's an awesome piece Sharon - looking good! I know how tiresome doing the backstitching can be but it really does put the finishing touch on a piece like this. I remember back in the day when I used to stitch some Paula Vaughn patterns that it seemed the backstitching would go on forever!

Claudette497 said...

It's looking great - I can't wait to see it finished!. It's funny how making x's is so relaxing and making straight lines is so maddening.

Faith... said...

I love how the back stitching brings a project to life! I "try" to do it while I am stitching but more often than not - I forget. Wolf will look more beautiful when you are finished.

Meari said...

Sharon -- The next time you do a large-ish project, backstitch as you go. LOL

I usually BS large projects as I go because (for me) it makes it look like a finish and spurs me on. It's also not so overwhelming (and boring).